Monday, July 8, 2013

An Inspired Week!

We had friends visit who we hadn't seen in over 20 years! What better way to reminisce about raising hell together than by sharing some gorgeous food. This raw cake was a huge hit!



Raw Carrot Cake

For the cake
3 cups carrots, finely grated
2 cups pecans, ground in food processor
1/4 cup raisin, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon all spice
Date paste**
1/2 teaspoon pink salt
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup raw coconut

**Make the date paste by grinding 1 cup soft dates and 1/2 cup orange juice in a food processor until smooth.

Thoroughly mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Shape into individual cakes or press into one large cake, ready to be cut at the end. Place on a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 115 degrees F for 8-12 hours. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can simply place the cake into the fridge to set.

For the frosting
1 1/2 cups cashews
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons raw honey
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
Place in fridge to achieve a thicker consistency and spread on cake when you're ready to serve.
Garnish cake with orange rind and fresh fruit.


Another yummy delight I had this week was this easy to make 
Chocolate-Walnut Fruit Salad:
I made this from freshly picked strawberries, green apple, raw walnuts, raw cacao nibs, pink salt, and raw honey. Curbed the craving for something sweet and salty!

Shortly after I posted the Raw Carrot Cake recipe, I received a message from my friend from Australia made the Raw Carrot Cake that I posted last night! He and his partner are the couple that my best friend, Christina Cretella is carrying a baby for as a surrogate!! So special...

"Yay, my first raw vegan carrot cake! Perhaps it would be better if I had a dehydrator but still delicious and my family actually ate it! The topping is delicious! 
Thanks for posting the recipe Dayna."

Christina and I also have had a few new bookings for our Rawk Starz food show! We love it and enjoy being together doing what we love!







No comments: