I made a delicious batch of Raw-Vegan Raspberry, Chia Bars!
I have only recently discovered the ease and joy of using chia seeds with mashed, raw fruit to make jam! It is easy and just perfect for the consistancy you are looking for in recipes that call for jam or jelly. This recipe was a creation based on the pecan and date crust that I use for my raw cheesecakes. I added some chia raspberry jam and BAM! healthy, raw-vegan bars that are to die for when warmed in the dehydrator!
- 1½ C raw pecans
3 dates, pitted
- ¾ C unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup or raw agave
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- pinch sea salt
For the Raspberry Topping:
- 1 C fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds(any color will work)
- extra coconut, almonds and cacao nibs for topping, if desired
- Prepare a standard sized loaf pan by lining with wax or parchment paper or even plastic wrap. Set aside.
- For the crust, place the pecans, coconut, maple syrup vanilla and salt and dates in a food processor. Process just until no large pieces remain and the nuts and coconut are evenly ground and mixed. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and spread out evenly and press down firmly.
- Prepare the raspberry filling by lightly mashing the berries with a fork. If using frozen berries, thaw before using and drain out any extra liquid sitting on top of the berries before lightly mashing. Stir in the maple syrup or agave and chia seeds and pour over the crust.
- Cover the bars with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. To remove, lift out the bars with the paper or plastic used to line the pan. Cut into equal sized bars .