Thursday, March 1, 2012

Raw Zza!


Ahh, pizza, It's been one of my favorite foods since I was a little girl. Movie nights, sleep-overs, parties...pizza has been at the center of so many memories for me. When I was making the shift to a raw food diet, I mourned the loss of some of my old favorite foods, pizza was one of them. It was like I was letting go a certain part of myself and with that went the future memories. 



The further I go down this raw path, the more I learn that I can have everything I ate before on the standard American diet, and experience all of the same feelings that went along with decadent, delicious foods that were the nucleus of so many memories. It can be a heightened experience when I feel great about everything I am eating!
This Raw Pizza, is something I created out of the need for bringing back those old feelings that went along with some of my old favorites. It does the job, and my children loved this and Tiff even said, "Mom! It tastes like 'real' pizza!" I hope your family enjoys it too!

Raw Pizza Crust
2 cups ground buckwheat crispies or raw buckwheat flour
1 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbl. oregano
1 Tbl. parsley
1 Tbl. Basil
1/2 Tbl. Himalayan pink salt
2 garlic cloves
2 stalks celery
1 carrot 
1 yellow pepper
1 zucchini
1 Tbl raw agave

Place garlic, celery, carrot, pepper and zucchini in the food processor until liquidy. Add to a bowl and then add remaining ingredients. Mix until well combined. Divide dough into two balls. Place each ball on Excallibur dehydrator tray. using your hands make a large circle by pressing and flattening and shaping. (My kids loved helping me with this part!) Dehydrate for 8 hour, flip and then dehydrate for 8-12 more hours on 104 degrees. (If you want a thin crust pizza, it will take less time to dehydrate.)

Raw Pizza Sauce
1 1/2 Cup sun dried tomatoes
1 1/2 Cup fresh tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 clove garlic
2 small slices of jalapeno pepper
1 cup cilantro
1 avocado, 1/2 cup sweet onion
1/2 cup celery
1/4 cup red pepper
2 Tbl. liquid aminos
1 1/2 Tbl. olive oil, raw agave, & Bragg's apple cider vinegar
1 tsp oregano, paprika, pepper, pink salt cumin and basil
1 Tbl. raw agave

Soak sun-dried tomatoes for two hours. Add tomatoes with soaking water and all other ingredients to the Vitamix. Mix until well combined.

Raw Cheese Sauce
1 cup soaked cashews (soak overnight)
juice from one lemon
1 Tbl. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. pink salt
1 tsp olive oil
1 Tbl. raw agave
Blend in Vitamix (you may need to add a little water)


\
Orion and Ivy helping me shape the pizza dough



Assembly
Add sauce to crust and then pour and spread cheese sauce over tomato sauce. Add your favorite toppings, like tomato, mushroom, onion, red pepper or whatever else you love.
Place in dehydrator for 3-5 hours.







I hope you enjoy this pizza as much as my family did! 
Rawk Your Life!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A friend of mine made this pizza using your recipe and boy! Was I stunned!? This is rawmazing! ;). This will be a staple in my raw-petoire! ;)

Unknown said...

I am making this to bring to a SAD Easter dinner tomorrow...I wanted something extra yummy to eat, so I wouldn't be tempted by all the unhealthy foods! ;)